Monday, March 26, 2012

opening my clients DB locally

My client has given me a DB file (.MDF) and I need to open it in order to export it to the remote DB.
In Enterprise Manager I go to 'New Database' - create a new DB and click on the 'Data' tab to browse to my clients file. Enterprise Manager recognises the file and everything seems hunky dory. but the resulting DB seems to have no tables.
The DB file is 1600K and has some stored procedures but if I try to export the tables there is nothing. His ASP files refer to tables in the SQL as you would expect.
Am I missing something? it's the weekend so he is not available and I don't want to look tooo stupid!look sp_attach_single_file_db up in sql server books online.|||Am I missing something? it's the weekend so he is not available and I don't want to look tooo stupid!It is always good to not look too stupid to a client... That kinda throws them off their feed for a bit. ;)

As Thrasymachus pointed out, you could use sp_attach_single_file_db (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tsqlref/ts_sp_ae-az_4wrm.asp), but carefully read the restrictions caused by not having the log file... Under certain circumstances, that can be a major problem.

-PatP

No comments:

Post a Comment