Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Opening Solution clears previous queries in SSMS

Yikes!
Does anyone know of a way that I can open a solution but keep my current
query windows open? Every time I go to File -> Open -> Project/Solution, it
kills any query windows I was working in.
And while I'm here, is there a way to set SSMS to open with Solution the way
you can have it open a query window when you connect?
Help is appreciated. Thanks,
Catadmin
--
MCDBA, MCSA
Random Thoughts: If a person is Microsoft Certified, does that mean that
Microsoft pays the bills for the funny white jackets that tie in the back?
@.=)Catadmin wrote:
> Yikes!
> Does anyone know of a way that I can open a solution but keep my current
> query windows open? Every time I go to File -> Open -> Project/Solution, it
> kills any query windows I was working in.
> And while I'm here, is there a way to set SSMS to open with Solution the way
> you can have it open a query window when you connect?
> Help is appreciated. Thanks,
> Catadmin
Launch another instance of SSMS?
--
Tracy McKibben
MCDBA
http://www.realsqlguy.com|||Yeah, but I'd kinda like to open up the solution in my current instance of
SSMS.
I have a solution where I keep my commonly used code templates to fix data.
During the course of a day, I might be working on new development when
suddenly I get help desk tickets asking for data fixes because someone broke
something. Rather than lose what I've got open, or have to save & reopen it,
or have to go to the whole Start->Programs hoo-ha (which is a pain when a
running query keeps pulls the focus back to SSMS while I'm trying to get to
something on the Start->Programs path), I'd like to just be able to open my
solution in Solution Explorer and have everything else remain the same.
Plus, if I open up another instance, I have to do cut-n-paste from one
instance to another. Bleargh. There's got to be a better way.
MCDBA, MCSA
Random Thoughts: If a person is Microsoft Certified, does that mean that
Microsoft pays the bills for the funny white jackets that tie in the back?
@.=)
"Tracy McKibben" wrote:
> Catadmin wrote:
> > Yikes!
> >
> > Does anyone know of a way that I can open a solution but keep my current
> > query windows open? Every time I go to File -> Open -> Project/Solution, it
> > kills any query windows I was working in.
> >
> > And while I'm here, is there a way to set SSMS to open with Solution the way
> > you can have it open a query window when you connect?
> >
> > Help is appreciated. Thanks,
> >
> > Catadmin
> Launch another instance of SSMS?
> --
> Tracy McKibben
> MCDBA
> http://www.realsqlguy.com
>|||Another option is to just keep those scripts in a particular
directory. Then you can create a menu item in SSMS that will
open that particular directory. That's about what I've done
at some places for the same reasons - to get quick access to
fire fighting scripts and not lose whatever else I have
open. Just go to Tools, External Tools and create a new
entry - Command Explorer and Argument of the script
directory. That might work for you.
-Sue
On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 08:19:02 -0700, Catadmin
<goldpetalgraphics@.yahoo.com> wrote:
>Yeah, but I'd kinda like to open up the solution in my current instance of
>SSMS.
>I have a solution where I keep my commonly used code templates to fix data.
> During the course of a day, I might be working on new development when
>suddenly I get help desk tickets asking for data fixes because someone broke
>something. Rather than lose what I've got open, or have to save & reopen it,
>or have to go to the whole Start->Programs hoo-ha (which is a pain when a
>running query keeps pulls the focus back to SSMS while I'm trying to get to
>something on the Start->Programs path), I'd like to just be able to open my
>solution in Solution Explorer and have everything else remain the same.
>Plus, if I open up another instance, I have to do cut-n-paste from one
>instance to another. Bleargh. There's got to be a better way.|||Sue,
I see what you're talking about with the Tools -> External Tools, but I'm
not clear on what you mean by Command Explorer. Is there a particular .exe
that you're refering to with this?
Thanks,
Catadmin
"Sue Hoegemeier" wrote:
> Another option is to just keep those scripts in a particular
> directory. Then you can create a menu item in SSMS that will
> open that particular directory. That's about what I've done
> at some places for the same reasons - to get quick access to
> fire fighting scripts and not lose whatever else I have
> open. Just go to Tools, External Tools and create a new
> entry - Command Explorer and Argument of the script
> directory. That might work for you.
> -Sue
> On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 08:19:02 -0700, Catadmin
> <goldpetalgraphics@.yahoo.com> wrote:
> >Yeah, but I'd kinda like to open up the solution in my current instance of
> >SSMS.
> >
> >I have a solution where I keep my commonly used code templates to fix data.
> > During the course of a day, I might be working on new development when
> >suddenly I get help desk tickets asking for data fixes because someone broke
> >something. Rather than lose what I've got open, or have to save & reopen it,
> >or have to go to the whole Start->Programs hoo-ha (which is a pain when a
> >running query keeps pulls the focus back to SSMS while I'm trying to get to
> >something on the Start->Programs path), I'd like to just be able to open my
> >solution in Solution Explorer and have everything else remain the same.
> >
> >Plus, if I open up another instance, I have to do cut-n-paste from one
> >instance to another. Bleargh. There's got to be a better way.
>|||Sorry about that - it's not real clear from what I typed.
The exe is Explorer. For the Command, you reference:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe
so that it fires off Windows Explorer. It will start in
whatever directory you list for the Arguments.
-Sue
On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 04:36:02 -0700, Catadmin
<goldpetalgraphics@.yahoo.com> wrote:
>Sue,
>I see what you're talking about with the Tools -> External Tools, but I'm
>not clear on what you mean by Command Explorer. Is there a particular .exe
>that you're refering to with this?
>Thanks,
>Catadmin
>"Sue Hoegemeier" wrote:
>> Another option is to just keep those scripts in a particular
>> directory. Then you can create a menu item in SSMS that will
>> open that particular directory. That's about what I've done
>> at some places for the same reasons - to get quick access to
>> fire fighting scripts and not lose whatever else I have
>> open. Just go to Tools, External Tools and create a new
>> entry - Command Explorer and Argument of the script
>> directory. That might work for you.
>> -Sue
>> On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 08:19:02 -0700, Catadmin
>> <goldpetalgraphics@.yahoo.com> wrote:
>> >Yeah, but I'd kinda like to open up the solution in my current instance of
>> >SSMS.
>> >
>> >I have a solution where I keep my commonly used code templates to fix data.
>> > During the course of a day, I might be working on new development when
>> >suddenly I get help desk tickets asking for data fixes because someone broke
>> >something. Rather than lose what I've got open, or have to save & reopen it,
>> >or have to go to the whole Start->Programs hoo-ha (which is a pain when a
>> >running query keeps pulls the focus back to SSMS while I'm trying to get to
>> >something on the Start->Programs path), I'd like to just be able to open my
>> >solution in Solution Explorer and have everything else remain the same.
>> >
>> >Plus, if I open up another instance, I have to do cut-n-paste from one
>> >instance to another. Bleargh. There's got to be a better way.
>>|||Thank you, Sue, but that's still not quite what I want. This doesn't enable
me to open an entire solution in SSMS while keeping current query windows
open.
If anyone from MS is reading this post, I'm sure there are other people who
would like to do the same thing I want to do (hint, hint).
Catadmin
--
MCDBA, MCSA
Random Thoughts: If a person is Microsoft Certified, does that mean that
Microsoft pays the bills for the funny white jackets that tie in the back?
@.=)
"Sue Hoegemeier" wrote:
> Sorry about that - it's not real clear from what I typed.
> The exe is Explorer. For the Command, you reference:
> %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe
> so that it fires off Windows Explorer. It will start in
> whatever directory you list for the Arguments.
> -Sue
> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 04:36:02 -0700, Catadmin
> <goldpetalgraphics@.yahoo.com> wrote:
> >Sue,
> >
> >I see what you're talking about with the Tools -> External Tools, but I'm
> >not clear on what you mean by Command Explorer. Is there a particular .exe
> >that you're refering to with this?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Catadmin
> >
> >"Sue Hoegemeier" wrote:
> >
> >> Another option is to just keep those scripts in a particular
> >> directory. Then you can create a menu item in SSMS that will
> >> open that particular directory. That's about what I've done
> >> at some places for the same reasons - to get quick access to
> >> fire fighting scripts and not lose whatever else I have
> >> open. Just go to Tools, External Tools and create a new
> >> entry - Command Explorer and Argument of the script
> >> directory. That might work for you.
> >>
> >> -Sue
> >>
> >> On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 08:19:02 -0700, Catadmin
> >> <goldpetalgraphics@.yahoo.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> >Yeah, but I'd kinda like to open up the solution in my current instance of
> >> >SSMS.
> >> >
> >> >I have a solution where I keep my commonly used code templates to fix data.
> >> > During the course of a day, I might be working on new development when
> >> >suddenly I get help desk tickets asking for data fixes because someone broke
> >> >something. Rather than lose what I've got open, or have to save & reopen it,
> >> >or have to go to the whole Start->Programs hoo-ha (which is a pain when a
> >> >running query keeps pulls the focus back to SSMS while I'm trying to get to
> >> >something on the Start->Programs path), I'd like to just be able to open my
> >> >solution in Solution Explorer and have everything else remain the same.
> >> >
> >> >Plus, if I open up another instance, I have to do cut-n-paste from one
> >> >instance to another. Bleargh. There's got to be a better way.
> >>
> >>
>|||No it won't open a solution. Like I said it will allow you
to open scripts in a specific directory but not a solution.
I think it's the only way around not losing what queries you
already have open if you don't want to open another SSMS
session. You could always search the product feedback site
to see if others posted this or post the request yourself:
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/
-Sue
On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 03:51:01 -0700, Catadmin
<goldpetalgraphics@.yahoo.com> wrote:
>Thank you, Sue, but that's still not quite what I want. This doesn't enable
>me to open an entire solution in SSMS while keeping current query windows
>open.
>If anyone from MS is reading this post, I'm sure there are other people who
>would like to do the same thing I want to do (hint, hint).
>Catadmin

No comments:

Post a Comment