Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Open Sessions using MS Access as Front End

I'm using SQL server 7 on Win NT. I have Access 97 as a front end, with linked tables though ODBC to SQL Server. Everytime I open a table in Access, a session appears when I type sp_who2. I close that table in Access, but I when I type sp_who2 the table session is still present. Does anyone know a cause for this?

I am researching why sometimes when we close are queries and tables in Access we have sessions in SQL server that becomes orphans/ghost. I try to kill the session but can't, so therefore I have to recycle the database.

Any help would be appreciated.What happens if you kill your Access client or re-boot the client PC? If memory serves, ODBC Manager uses a cached connection and will hold a connection past a close. The idea is that you might want to re-connect very soon and by holding a connection the ODBC Manager can save a bit of time on the second connection.|||Originally posted by Paul Young
What happens if you kill your Access client or re-boot the client PC? If memory serves, ODBC Manager uses a cached connection and will hold a connection past a close. The idea is that you might want to re-connect very soon and by holding a connection the ODBC Manager can save a bit of time on the second connection.

If I close the Access client and reboot the machine the session will disappear, but there are times the session won't dissappear and that session becomes an orphan/ghost session . This ghost session then keeps a lock onto the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment